We got hitched, no lie, on April fools day. Seemed appropriate, right?
Anyway, Sara’s fallen off the comic wagon a bit and so in addition to talking very briefly about Hawkeye, Volume 1: My Life as A Weapon by Matt Fraction, and some of Deadpool Calssic 2 by Joe Kelly we mostly talked TV and movies.
I know it’s been a while, but you remember how this works, right? Spoilers. SPOILERS. Don’t listen if you aren’t caught up on the following shows because we’ll ruin them for you.
- The Flash
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Agent Carter
As for movies, we are really looking forward to Deadpool, in no small measure because of this:
Other than this, here are some cryptic things that will only make sense if you give a listen.
This podcast needs to start with an apology. Wow. We didn’t edit, but we should have. We know it. Our heads are hanging in shame that even at episode 10 we haven’t gotten better at this. In fact we have managed to get worse.
So if you would like to hear us deal with our bratty dogs (okay, it was really just one of them), and maybe a few comments here and there about comics, by all means tune in.
In between the dog antics here is what we managed to toss a few words out about:
- TV Series Gotham (Up to the Mid-Season finale – whatever the hell that is – Episode 10 “Lovecraft”.) I have a theory about who killed Bruce Wayne’s parents. Whether they decide to “re-write” it remains to be seen, but if you paid attention (or re-watch it) it seems like it was at least this particular actor they used to do the deed, who plays Butch Gilzean from Fish Mooney’s camp:
- TV series The Arrow (because Mike hates all of us).
- And the shitastic Spiderman movie with big-head long-neck.
- Seriously though, the show was really about this little brat:
P.S. This post is sadly missing the acerbic voice of Mike. He’s been suppressing his rage and fighting with code and dealing with a very big project in Real Life. Man, that Real Life sucks sometimes. He will be back next time…although, maybe he just doesn’t want to be associated with the worst podcast to ever be recorded. Evil freaking genius.
Uh, oh. This past week we might have experienced a slip…a bit of a Backslide* even.
This week both Sara and Mike review Superman/Wonder Woman Volume 1: Power Couple written by Charles Soule. And, well…ouch.
Also reviewed was Runaways Volume 1: Pride and Joy written by Brian K. Vaughan. Mike reviewed it more favorably than Sara…but that isn’t saying much. Again. Ouch.
Is this the end? Is Sara done? Well. No. As we all know she has more tolerance than that (S: ahem, GreenArrowmorethanmakesupforthattimeImadeyouwatchXanadu). [M: No it doesn’t honey.] Tune in to hear how someone managed to write a story that made Sara dislike Wonder Woman (something we didn’t believe was possible) and how she feels about slogging through a teen angst story. And of course a whole bunch of other stuff that has nothing to do with comic books but is still somewhat related so we feel totally justified slipping it into this podcast. [M: Does it really matter? How many people could possibly be listening?]
Episode 06: listen here
* If you are not familiar with Dan Backslide the former sneak of Roquefort Hall, coward, bully, cad, and thief, and arch enemy of the Dover boys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpOPyjmB8SI
Guess what! Sara liked a comic; 4-stars-on-Goodreads-liked-it as a matter of fact. And do you know what we learned about ourselves? We are much better at articulating our feelings when we dislike things than when we like things.
All is not lost though because there is plenty of crap out there to talk about besides that one comic Sara read that she really liked. Tune in to hear us talk up Dr. Strange: The Oath written by Brian K. Vaughan, talk a little sideways about the new season of S.H.I.E.L.D., and (ahem) maybe talk down about the first two episodes of the television show Gotham.
- 20:00 through to 37:06 – S.H.I.E.L.D. plot elements
- 37:06 through 38:44 – we learn how Mike doesn’t make soup for Sara when she is sick
- 38:45 through 53:08 – Gotham plot elements
- from 53:09 on you should be safe (unless you are still slogging through the first season of Arrow like we are)
- (sorry for how long this is but the dogs really had a lot to say)
Episode 05: https://app.box.com/SaraAndMikeOnComics
- Silly Putty was the greatest toy when all your grandparents would let you play with was newspapers
[Mike says: “Sara is a genius for finding that Batman-Silly Putty ad. Holy shitarski, Batman!”]
We have jumped from the frying pan into the fire. Not only did Sara read more comics she also went to her first* Comic Convention.
Was Sara less confused with Volume 2 of Bendis’ New Avengers?
Did Mike embarrass her at the Comic Con with his fan boy ways?
Has the whole experience turned Sara off comics forever?!
Tune in to find out!
Episode 04: https://app.box.com/SaraAndMikeOnComics
*not counting the Portland Independent Comic Festival of 2012
When last we left our not-so-dynamic duo Sara was jonesing for a superhero fix.
After much deliberation Mike chose The New Avengers by Brian Michael Bendis.
How did it go? Tentatively good…tune in to find out if she will continue reading the series or move on to something else. Also, a podcast about reading comic books wouldn’t be complete without discussing a whole lot of television. Yeah. I’d like to tell you it won’t derail in the future, but why lie? Also…
Episode 03: https://app.box.com/SaraAndMikeOnComics